Life continues to grow and evolve on the Coast. August is in full swing. This is going to be a point form update. I haven’t been sleeping that well lately, and there’s just too much happening at the moment to put together an eloquently written life update for the week. So HERE GOES.
- Running my first BC Just Write workshop at Distrikt Movement with Jess Robson this weekend. Jess is such a wonderful, smart, awesome human, and Distrikt is such a great space, and I can’t wait to put these things together. If you’re in the Vancouver area, and still have some internal doubts over starting your next writing project, we still have a few spots, and I promise you’ll leave with the confidence to begin.
- I’m well into my 30 Sea Days Challenge, and even though some days it’s kind of a pain, it also always makes me feel good about life. If I’m stressed or happy or whatever, biking or running to the ocean and taking a dip in the sea always makes me feel better, and also inspires a little bit of awe for the place that I live. Whether it’s cloudy or hot or morning or late, the daily time I spend in the ocean is ALWAYS an exercise in appreciating the beauty of my homeland. And it’s been really nice to have people join in either in person, or from afar, with their own daily dips. I’m thinking of going for another 30 days when the first 30 are done, but we’ll see about that.
- I’m coming up on three months on the Coast. Holy moly. I actually can’t even believe it. It continues to be an adventure and an up and down roller coaster of days that are magical and inspiring and wonderful, and other days that are lonely and stressful and challenging. Such is any new undertaking in life where you’re working to stretch yourself and grow, amiright?
- I think that I might have found the first speaker for CreativeMornings Sunshine Coast, which is so exciting. I’ll know more next week. But it feels good to be checking things off my list of prep for our first event. I am so nervous and excited for CM to come to this community and I can’t wait to see how it grows and evolves over the upcoming year.
- I’ve been running more, which is so wonderful and makes me so happy. I still have a long way to go to get back to where I was, but the fact that I am able to run a few times a week is just the best. I actually feel like I can start to push myself again, which is SUCH A RELIEF after a year of on again off again injury. A lot of my runs lately have been a part of the daily dips, so they often part run, part hike up a steep hill, but I’m working on it one step at a time.
- Jenn McRae and I checked out Coastal Community Crossfit and it was pretty great. I’m always nervous about checking out new workout spaces, because I am super picky about the trainers whose classes I take, but I have a good feeling about this one. So happy to be getting back into some strength-training.
- Jenn McRae and I have also become managing partners at the co-working space in Gibsons – FUSE workhub – that is set to re-open in September. We have a lot of work to do in terms of the space itself, website, social media, etc etc etc between now and then. More on that in the weeks to come.
- FINALLY made it to a CreativeMornings Vancouver event; I hadn’t been since coming back to the West Coast. It’s about time! Had a really great morning, despite having to wake up at 5am to catch the ferry, and shut the venue down having a really great conversation with a few people I met at the event. Pretty much exactly why I love CreativeMornings so much. Thanks for the best time, CMVan crew!
- My friend Stevan was visiting from Toronto, and invited me to a really lovely pal dinner all the way up in Halfmoon Bay, and thankfully I was able to hitch a ride with his partner’s sister who also lives in Gibsons. Met some lovely further up the Coast, part-time Coasters, and re-meet some folks who I know “from around” in my youth. More people moving to the Coast all the time, and I love it!
- OH MY GOD. Also, I got a roommate! Welcome to the Coast, Hana MacDonald! While there are definitely things that I love about living alone, I am so pumped to be sharing my space with another human again. So far, we seem to get along really well, and my giant apartment is already feeling a lot cozier and more like home.
- I’m sure that other things happened, but it’s 1am, and I’m sleepy, and my brain is buzzing with everything else that I have to get done that is not my weekly blog post.
So that’s it for now! Sending love from the Best Coast.